Thursday, August 18

Desperate for Cabinet Space

Weddings = boxes all over your kitchen! Yes, it's true. There were boxes everywhere after we got married!!! Some people just hide those boxes in a spare bedroom and never think about them again for 10, 15 or 20 years. We had some seriously cool stuff in those boxes though, so I wanted to make sure it all got into my cupboards and used on a regular basis. This is where the boxes all over my kitchen comes in...
How am I going to get all this stuff into my already full cupboards. Well, I started with the obvious and got rid of the old stuff like plates and pots and pans that were being replaced with new. Then I decided that the cupboards needed shelves in them. Can you believe it? The bottom cupboards didn't have a single shelf in them and the stuff was just piled in there. Here's a few pictures of the mess that was my cupboards prior to this simple DIY fix.
I bought a few pieces of MDF and used my hubby's table saw to cut them all down to fit in my cupboards. Then I used the drill to make little holes in the sides for some L-shaped pegs to go in that would hold up the shelf. Set the shelf on and ta-da! Shelves!
The change doesn't seem that drastic but I can assure you that it is definitely drastic when I can fit all of that stuff into the cupboards I already had without building a whole new kitchen! Yes, I know that a few of the shelves seem to droop a little in the middle but I have a simple solution that I'm still working on. If you want, you can just buy a little thicker piece of MDF and I'm sure it will be fine. Hey, this is how you learn things right?! Anyways, I spent $12 on MDF and $5 on all the little brackets, so the project total was under $20! I really wanted to share this with you because it was a simple fix for a problem than many of you may have in your owns kitchens. Just know that there is probably always something that you can do yourself for less money than you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment